Prefab homes are houses that are pre-built in a factory. Instead of being constructed on the building site, the house is built in a factory-like setting under a controlled environment by highly skilled workers. The process takes comparatively less time than the traditional on-site building construction. We list below the various stages in which the prefab houses are built.
- The Idea – Write down the type of home that you need, the number of rooms, design, layout, etc., according to the number of family members, needs, lifestyle, habits, and routines. After that, you can search the internet to find some examples of houses that look similar to the type of house you want. Once you jotted down the rooms on paper, you can get a rough estimate of the total house area and budget. The final cost of the house will depend on the architecture, location, type of technical installation, interior and exterior designing etc. If you feel the house is beyond your budget, you have to cut on the number of rooms until the budget becomes comfortable for you.
- Drafting an Architectural Design-The next step is to hire an architect and begin working on the project. The architect will draft floor plans, side views, relevant sections, etc. All drawings are accompanied by measurements on paper or digital format.
- Drafting a Budget-Next what follows is making a budget. This includes the costs of transportation, water, electricity, communications, installation charges, roof cover, interior finishes, etc.
- Choosing the Manufacturer-Selecting the right manufacturer is a time-consuming task. The buyer has many queries, and he starts to communicate with manufacturers trying to get some answers.
- Choosing other Contractors-Find a local general contractor who can do works that are not performed by the manufacturer, like concrete works, roof cover, and interior finishes. When you hire a General Contractor, you can rest assured that there would be very few chances of mistakes.
- Engineering Design- This is a fundamental stage of prefabricated home construction and takes a lot of time. The time taken depends on the complexity of the architecture. At the end of this stage, the complete set of drawings for production is ready.
- Preparing the Site-While the engineering design is going on, the construction site gets prepared. Production can start after the casting of the foundation is done and measures have been confirmed to the manufacturer.
- Production -Production is one of the shorter stages of the entire construction process. In order to make production quick, the engineering design must be flawless.
- Transport -Once manufactured, the house is transported to the construction site.
- On-site Assembly-Finally the house is assembled on-site. The time for assembling the parts depends on the degree of manufacturing and the size of the house.
- Technical Installations-Once the house is assembled, the technical installation like plumbing, electricity, ventilation, heating, and communications is done next.
- Interior Finishes -In the last stage, the Interior Finishing Work is done.
- Handing over the House-After the completion of the Interior Finishing Works, the General Contractor shall inspect the house with the Owner, and they should check that everything has been built according to the plan.
We hope you will now understand the various stages in which a prefab home is built.